Saturday, January 4, 2014

How I zap acne and keep a healthy scalp!

 ACNE, BE GONE!

...and other things too!

NOTE: I encourage any and everyone to NOT take what I say for gold. It is important that we all conduct our own research and come to our own conclusions. We are all  beautiful, unique individuals who have different experiences and perceptions to everything in life.

               For about a year (or possibly longer) I have been using ONE super awesome product to control acne breakouts, and also to keep my face evenly toned. Contrary to popular belief, I am a pretty simplistic individual who does not use many conventional products on my skin. Forget what you might think about our skin being this super strong barrier to all things harmful. Although that is true to one extent, the other side of the coin shows our skin is extremely absorbent. Pause and think about it for a tiddle. How much FILTHY water do you think you absorb while showering? Swimming? When we lather on toxic lotions with dyes and chemicals. I challenge whoever is reading this to take a bottle of whatever you put on your skin and look up all eleventeen million of the gigantic words that you didn't even know existed. Ugh. Just filth.
Sorry that almost turned into a rant. I need to work on that lol. Now I, Love Bug, am not a product Nazi. Just...passionate about the health of humanity. Use what you want, what you can afford. I just have to plant the seed!
            So anyway, let me get to the point. That product is Apple Cider Vinegar! ACV is a product of apple fermentation and is full of acetic acid. As we all know, organic apples are very nutritious, but ACV is also stacked with vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and bacteria inhibiting awesomeness! That is a reason vinegars are used to preserve many types of food. Mmm thinking of all that fermented goodness soaking into my skin. Below is the brand I use:
How I discovered ACV.
            Back in the summer of...I think 2011, I was transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. I wore cheap wigs to help in the process. Maybe one particular wig didn't allow my scalp to breathe, and fungus started to multiple like nobodies business. I also believe my excessive drought of stress contributed (if not WAS the sole culprit). I started to notice my scalp become extremely itchy and flaky. I figured a couple clarifying shampoos would do the trick. Nope. I would cry after shampoos because  my scalp was in the exact same condition as before I shampooed it. My hair was falling out where to most plaque buildup was (in multiple spot around my scalp). My self confidence was shattering. My then boyfriend thought I was being overly emotional and just making it worse then it was...until one day I parted my scalp for him and his exact words were, "Damn I didn't think it was that bad! Man I'm so sorry babe".
           I did my research and discovered I had a bad case of plaque psoriasis. I went to the doctor, they gave me this God awful medicated shampoo, and I rejoiced in a possible cure. Until I used it. It made my scalp feel like it was on a hibachi grill! I thought to myself, "No pain...no gain. It must be working!" I had to use the shampoo every day, or every other day, I cannot recall. Us nap happy women know that washing our hair that frequently is a nightmare for our fragile coils. My condition did not seem to be improving, if not getting worse...
          I hopped on the internet and started sniffing out natural cures for dandruff. The dandruff in itself was so embarrassing. Like Christmas in July! Like those kind of snowflakes thick enough to make you think a bug just hit you in your face. Low and behold...I crossed paths with ACV. I started washing my hair with my normal shampoo, then as my FINAL RINSE I made a 1:5 ration of ACV to water. I continued to do this, adding a little more ACV as I can tolerate (measured by slight stinging) and within 4 weeks, my HORRIBLE case of plaque psoriasis was completely healed! Never to return again to this day!
How I use ACV now.
          Fast-forward to now. I use ACV on my face as a toner and/or cleanser. When I first began doing this, I would soak a round cotton pad with water, ringed out 50%, then add a little less ACV, for a 1:2 ratio. ACV can be harsh and corrosive so it is advised to start off using it with caution. Also to note, I have sensitive facial skin. That ratio is old news. Now, I use straight ACV because my skin can tolerate it. I "listen" to my skin, and sometimes it does not need it so strong, so I put a 2-5 drops of water on my cotton round via my clean finger. I apply all over my face, mainly focusing on my acne prone spots: my jaw/chin area, cheeks, and forehead. I only experience "big" acne breakouts the week before my cycle and this method works beautifully for me.
          I sometimes still do an ACV final rinse on shampoo days. It helps clarify your scalp by removing buildup. Over the years my sense of smell has heightened greatly so I might let it sit on my hair and scalp while I wash my body, then rinse it away with plain water. A lot of people experience a light ACV smell after the shower. In my past experience, it went away as my hair dried. Now a day I can still smell it faintly. Not a huge con, though. Guys there are SO many other uses for ACV. I encourage you to research and experiment!
 =================================================================================
I get nice handful of compliments about my skin, so stay tuned for my super simple skin regimen, including pics! 

XOXO
-Love Bug


1 comment:

  1. I just recently started using ACV as a toner, and I'm really liking it! I haven't used it in my hair in awhile, mainly for the smell, but thats!probably because my ratios were off... I am all for it though!

    ReplyDelete